Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need help INTERPRETING these test results police cruiser SAE J866a Chase Test

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 18:01:07 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Sunday, 14 January 2018 18:20:35 UTC, Mad Roger wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 01:27:58 -0800 (PST),
tabbypurr wrote:

The real question who in the hell ****ing cares??

I didn't, until I found the brake pads fitted by a quick nationwide chain a year earlier were totally disintegrating.

Funny thing is you can get the same brake pads at a scrapyard for a fraction the price, but no-one wants to.

It's a valid question of who cares about choosing the proper brake pads.

Bear in mind that the Toyota FF pads are $157 a set at the local
dealership, while at a local parts store, I can get FF pads for $20 a set.

C = Up to 0.15u
E = 0.15u to 0.25u
E = 0.25u to 0.35u
F = 0.35u to 0.45u
G = 0.45u to 0.55u
H = 0.55u to 0.65u
Z = Unclassified

That's a huge difference in price, for material that has the same friction
coefficient, if not quality, don't you think?

That's retail. And really the difference is greater, I once bought a set of 4 brake shoes for £1, that's under $2. They performed without any issue. Why? No-one here wants to buy brake parts from scrapyards, even though they're the same parts you get in the shops.

In the end, I don't see any indication whatsoever that anyone here knows
how to properly compare the performance of those $157 and $20 brake pads
and shoes in order to make an intelligent buying decision.

if both do the job ok, $20 is the intelligent buying decision.

That's kind of a sad revelation for this newsgroup, don't you think?

No, it's an electronics newsgroup.

Moving to historic vehicles, how would I find out which friction rating oak is?

NT

I dunno about oak but I do know that pine doesn't last long. The cable
cars in San Fransisco use long pieces of pine under the cars as
brakes. These are pressed onto the rack and are replaced every two to
three days. The cars have two other braking systems as well. Good
planning for a hilly city. Years ago I made some oak wear blocks for
passenger jets. I think they were for the Boeing 737. These large
blocks took two guys to place onto the mill table for machining. They
were attached to the underside of the tail end of the aircraft. During
testing the pilot made the tail strike the tarmac during take-off. I
guess it's better to scrape off some oak than it is to scrape off the
airplane skin.
Eric