Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Anyone try the Kreg hinge jig?

On 1/15/18 1:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 2:48:14 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/15/18 1:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 10:21:15 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

So Mike, your observation seems to have some merit as a few folks
thought the forstner bits weren't sharp. This could be something, it
could be nothing. Forstner bits weren't meant to be used by hand,
so it's hard to get a good take on this one. On one hand I would
doubt that the home woodworker would know that drilling hard white
oak with this contraption by hand would be a bad idea, but on the
other Kreg doesn't provide any warning about drilling really hard
woods, small knots, or anything else. It also doesn't warn against
running your drill at high speed. I think I will meet with him to
check out the bit before he uses it if he gets the jig at WoodCraft.

I suspected that the bit might not be the best, but surly the thing can
cut 12 holes.
I just made a test cut in some rock maple with the bit I got from
Woodcraft.
The holes edges, cut by the pointed wings, were pristine. When it got
to the flat cutting edges for hogging, it slowed down a lot and stalled.
Of course, I may be going too fast. But also, all the edges on this
bit can be hand sharpened.

I have a couple of cabinet doors that need hinges, so I ordered the
Kreg jig, it arrived yesterday. I'll give it a try this
afternoon and report back. First impressions were that it
was definitely worth the price - the forstner bit looks well
made with nickers and full carbide cutters.

Awaiting the report!

If possible, please include your opinion on longevity. I eventually will need
to install 40-ish hinges in doors made from 1 x poplar.

As Leon has mentioned, Kreg jigs typically look like a great idea, but don't
always live up to their (own) hype.

Do you have a drill press?
It goes pretty fast with a press and vac hose attached.

Yes, a bench-top DP, for which I made a 18" deep x 24" wide table for.

I'm sure it will work with a couple of stops attached, but I'm still
interested in the jig - as apparently are you. ;-)

It would be nice to have in a toolbox in the van for just such an
occasion.
IF it's all it's cracked up to be.
I don't like jigs that make the job slower than I could do it without
the jig. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)