Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger Mad Roger is offline

Default Need help INTERPRETING these test results police cruiser SAE J866a Chase Test

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 17:52:27 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

There are presumably 2nd order differences in pad performance,
but we've no idea what they are. EE versus FF is not it seems
the relevant criterion as long as the car can apply enough force
to lock wheels with the pads.
Whether all modern cars can do that with EE or not I also have
no idea. FWIW certainly all historic ones can't.

I agree with you that the primary role of friction material is their
friction, but as the AMECA engineer told me, the way they outgas alone can
have an effect that is huge, as you are also noting.

It would be nice to figure out what these second-order effects are, such as
outgassing as mentioned by the AMECA engineer, as the police cruiser test
already eliminated any second-order effects from a difference in vehicles
since they tested the different pads on the exact same vehicle.

So we can tentatively state that you are 100% correct that second-order
effects (outgassing) apparently are as big as first-order effects
(friction).

The AMECA engineer said that all materials heat up differently, which, he
said, also effects the performance of the pads.

So I think we have two potentially high second-order effects which are
(shockingly) almost as important as the first-order effect of friction
coefficient:
1) outgassing (outgasing sp?)
2) heating
3) ?

What other potentially very high (as high as friction) second-order effects
could we have, when we've eliminated the difference in vehicles and driver?