Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger Mad Roger is offline

Default Need help INTERPRETING these test results police cruiser SAE J866a Chase Test

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 18:05:29 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Sigh. It's just sad.

if they all work ok it's not sad, it's a nonissue

I think you hit the reluctant nail on the head!

The only way this can make sense is if all brake pads work. Period.

Because if people were getting into accidents due to bad brake pads,
someone would step in and stop that (we hope).

Notice even the police report, which is the only scientific study we have,
never said any pad was better or worse - they just required more foot
pounds or fewer foot pounds of pedal force for the same deceleration value.

They never said anything about not being able to decelerate at the desired
deceleration value.

So, I very belatedly am getting the lesson that, in terms of stopping a
typical passenger vehicle, all pads sold are just about the same in terms
of performance.

Another way of saying that is that no matter what the price is, you can't
get a bad pad (nor a good pad). All you get is a pad.

All this assumes that you can't afford to run your own scientific tests,
because the one scientific test we do have, concludes as much anyway in
that there's no way to tell unless you run the test yourself, which you
can't do.

For actual racing, those guys can spend the actual immense time comparing
two different pads, but the consumer is left to realize, as sad as this
conclusion is for me to state, that all consumer-available brake pads are
pretty much exactly the same in terms of stopping ability.

Sigh. It's sad. I didn't want to conclude that. I really didn't. But it is
what the science tells us it is. The rest is just marketing bull**** and
fear mongering from the butt-dynos that think if they paid $157 for a pad,
then it must be better than if they paid $20 for the same pad.