Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer mouse switch going bad

On Monday, 15 January 2018 02:05:09 UTC, wrote:
NT:

"Sometimes those work, sometimes not. It depends on what the mouse & PC are capable of. "

The adapter is just a plug to a plug. It either needs USB drivers or some software to convert the PS/2 mouse port to a USB mouse port. Such software does exist, as does for regular serial to UBS (I beet performance sucks) and parallel to USB (common on printers of a certain vintage.

I've used such adaptors with many mice. Some work off the bat, some won't. Why? Because mice generally have the ability to work with either of 2 port types, though which 2 varies. (That means if you cut off a mouse's plug and wire on a different type, sometimes it will work.)

Early Win3.1 era mice were DB9 only. For years most mice did PS/2 or USB.

NT