Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ABLE1[_3_] ABLE1[_3_] is offline

Default Computer mouse switch going bad

On 1/13/2018 4:29 PM, wrote:
My mouse left button is getting real flakey. I took the whole thing
apart and cleaned everything. It still dont work all the time, so I
guess that switch is going bad. There dont seem to be any place to get
some contact cleaner inside of it.

Have any of you ever found a way to repair these switches?

Yea, I know computer mice are cheap, but I need a PS/2 connector and
want a ball mouse. I dont like the infared mice, and can not use a USB
mouse on my Windows 98 computer.

So, I have to order this on ebay since all the ones in the stores are
USB and infared these days.

So, until I can get one from ebay, is there any temporary fix? (The
other mouse functions work fine).

Hi Oldschool, I have been reading this thread with a smile.

I also have a Win98se machine that I desperately need to do what I do.

When I was really concerned it was was going to die and leave me with
nothing but tears and frustration beyond human limits, I searched
eBay and found a guy that was building Pentium 4 systems running
Win98se. Long story short I bought two(2) for $125 each.

Now I have a set of twin Win98se machines, Unit (A) and Unit (B).
Both with USB mouse and keyboard. Presently only using Unit (A) and by
my theory of universal backup planning as long as I have Unit (B) then
Unit (A) will never die. Best $125 ever spent.
Well actually $250 but who's counting.

My original Win98se still runs to this day and only use it when I need a
file that was not important at the time, 5 years ago, to move over.

Good luck with your PS/2 to USB adapter thingie. That may be a short
term fix as everything eventually breaks, one way or another.

Les