Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Computer mouse switch going bad

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 1:03:23 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 15:38:35 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

The switch inside is called a tact-switch and these are readily available
and can be installed easily by anyone with soldering skills. The switches

I always regret throwing stuff away. I have tossed several mice over the
years that probably still had usable switches.

Yeah, but... there's flat buttons and raised ones, 5mm square and 8mm square,
surface mount and through-hole, and probably a dozen other variants.

Sometimes the switch is just like one in my (sizeable) junque collection, sometimes not.
Every old dead VCR has a dozen, but that's not a dozen different types, just a dozen
examples.

Sometimes, too, it's a plastics-getting-sticky problem, and the switch is fine if
you just smear a tiny bit of silicone grease where the friction is.