Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rickman[_2_] rickman[_2_] is offline

Default Computer mouse switch going bad

wrote on 1/13/2018 5:50 PM:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 16:53:13 -0500, Tom Biasi
wrote:

On 1/13/2018 4:29 PM,
wrote:
My mouse left button is getting real flakey. I took the whole thing
apart and cleaned everything. It still dont work all the time, so I
guess that switch is going bad. There dont seem to be any place to get
some contact cleaner inside of it.

Have any of you ever found a way to repair these switches?

Yea, I know computer mice are cheap, but I need a PS/2 connector and
want a ball mouse. I dont like the infared mice, and can not use a USB
mouse on my Windows 98 computer.

So, I have to order this on ebay since all the ones in the stores are
USB and infared these days.

So, until I can get one from ebay, is there any temporary fix? (The
other mouse functions work fine).

Walmart has a USB mouse for $4.79 USD

You get a "F" for reading comprehension.

I SAID: I need a PS/2 mouse.
I probably have 4 USB mice, which are not suitable for my needs.

I did just find they make adaptors, to convert a USB mouse to PS/2. I
ordered one on ebay for about $3. But until I get it, I have to keep
fighting with this mouse, which works fine for awhile, then refuses to
do anything till I beat the crap out of that button a dozen times or
more.....

Tomorrow I plan to go to Goodwill. They usually have mice....
I'll probably buy several of them, if they have any PS/2 ones. Seems
that are getting hard to find....

I never understood the reasoning for USB mice or keyboards. Many
computers only have 2 USB ports. Why waste them for a mouse or keyboard
when there are PS/2 ports.... One of my computers had both a USB mouse
and keyboard, and only had 2 USB ports. In order to use a flash drive I
had to keep unplugging either the mouse or keyboard.... Apparently these
are more "Designed by idiots" products.

By "many computers" you mean many computers running Windows 98, right? My
laptop has four USB Ports. I don't think I've seen one that has less than
three in the last 10 years.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998