Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I've hacked off some tiles ....

On 12/01/2018 22:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve Walker
writes
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.
Â*Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend,
but IÂ* can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile
adhesive isÂ* still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting
a cleanÂ* surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people
don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will
soften the plasterboard is another matter, but you've got nothing to
lose trying it.

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but
that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

Would a paper stripper steamer help?

Probably, but I found just brushing hot water on to be highly effective.

SteveW