Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Anyone try the Kreg hinge jig?

On 1/12/18 8:43 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote:
In my work, I rarely build more than a "one off" to replace a
cabinet. Haven't done a kitchen full of cabinets in 20 years...
don't miss it! I used to use a plastic jig with index lines to
mark where I drilled for hidden hinges. Marked, then off to the
drill press. My little gauge is long lost (see the Rockler
version) and I have simply marked my doors one at a time since I
will usually do no more than two to six doors on a replacement.

But one of my amigos is going to build a few cabinets for himself
and wants to put concealed hinges on the doors. I am used to
measuring and for multiple doors or hardware pieces I always make a
marking jig. (That way, if I screw up everything is wrong!) He
can't measure well, doesn't understand jigs, and has no drill
press.

I found this, and remember it was quite a bit more $$ in an
earlier iteration. Gets great reviews, and even comes with that
pesky 35mm bit with carbide cutters! Seems like a helluva steal,
but just interested to see if anyone has used one of these. They
sell them everywhere, about this price:

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Company-.../dp/B01JQ74FMQ

Seems he could just clamp with a couple of squeeze clamps and drill away
after getting set up. Certainly inexpensive enough to buy for the
few cabinets he is going to make. Would really like to try it out
myself!

Anyone use one of these? Thoughts? Keep in mind this isn't a
production tool and he isn't opening a shop. He might do about 6=8
doors on this first go around.

Robert

The only concern I might have is with the cam adjustmnts that
position the jig from the stile edge of the door. That distance,
normally 1/8" on euro hinges, is critical. Too far away from the
edge and the door will rub the face frame every time the door is
opened or closed.

I watched the promo video on that link.
I guess the pros for it are the depth stop and horizontal guide, the
guide holes for the hinge screws, and the fact that the 35mm bit is
quickly removable. BTW, it *is* the same style of bit I have, with the
carbide cutters that slice a the circumference of the hole before
hogging out the inside-- so I guess that's another pro.

The cons in my mind...
-The have an adjustable edge stop, why no integrated vertical
positioning stop?
-Two clamps!? I mean, I know there's no way to clamp the center of the
thing. My guess is, after about 3 holes, you're going to quit using one
or both clamps. Once the 35mm bit enters the surface of the door, it's
not going anywhere.

In any case, considering I high quality 35mm bit can be 30 bucks, alone,
I think it would be great for someone who's not real confident at
drilling for cup hinges. I'm not sure that would save you or I any time
or accuracy. I can use a marking guide and have door 6 hole locations
marked on the door by the time I lined that thing up to a mark. Then I
can have the first cup hole drilled, free hand (using the height of the
bit as a depth guide) before I'd have those two clamped attached. That
would get me through 3 or 4 doors, until I decided I wanted to set up a
drill press station.

If someone were buying this to replace hinges in their entire kitchen,
they'd be better off getting a drill press and setting up a station with
stops. You can get an able bench-top press for well under $100.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--