Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone try the Kreg hinge jig?

In my work, I rarely build more than a "one off" to replace a cabinet. Haven't done a kitchen full of cabinets in 20 years... don't miss it! I used to use a plastic jig with index lines to mark where I drilled for hidden hinges. Marked, then off to the drill press. My little gauge is long lost (see the Rockler version) and I have simply marked my doors one at a time since I will usually do no more than two to six doors on a replacement.

But one of my amigos is going to build a few cabinets for himself and wants to put concealed hinges on the doors. I am used to measuring and for multiple doors or hardware pieces I always make a marking jig. (That way, if I screw up everything is wrong!) He can't measure well, doesn't understand jigs, and has no drill press.

I found this, and remember it was quite a bit more $$ in an earlier iteration. Gets great reviews, and even comes with that pesky 35mm bit with carbide cutters! Seems like a helluva steal, but just interested to see if anyone has used one of these. They sell them everywhere, about this price:

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Company-.../dp/B01JQ74FMQ

Seems he could just clamp with a couple of squeeze clamps and drill away after getting set up. Certainly inexpensive enough to buy for the few cabinets he is going to make. Would really like to try it out myself!

Anyone use one of these? Thoughts? Keep in mind this isn't a production tool and he isn't opening a shop. He might do about 6=8 doors on this first go around.

Robert