Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Bose laser-more info

prodded the keyboard with:

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 15:34:27 +0000, Baron
wrote:

prodded the keyboard with:

So I took apart the case of the Bose so I could clean and lube the
laser assembly. Also used some canned blow off gas to blow any
dust out of the area between the laser and the underside of the
lens. After reassembly the player worked beautifully. The one
particular CD played right off the bat. But after swapping it or
another CD, which also
played, and then putting the stubborn CD back in, it refused to
play. I noticed that when blowing out the laser assembly the lens
would move down because of the pressurized gas blowing between the
lens and laser. So I pressed down on the lens and tried the CD
again. Worked great. After stopping the player and re starting the
CD wouldn't play. Pressing down the lens carrier on the left hand
side of the lens carrier and then trying to play the CD works.
After stopping and then starting the CD won't play. But then
pressing down the lens carrier on the left side makes the CD play
again. Anybody have any guesses why this is happening? It looks to
me like the lens carrier is just suspended by 4 spring wires. But
maybe there is something else that might be dragging. Anybody know
how the things are really made? Thanks,
Eric

Look for debris between the lens carriage and the magnet on the side
that is sticking, or the suspension is twisted and its rubbing.

I'll check for debris with a magnifier, thanks. Am I correct in
assuming that the lens assembly is only supported by the 4 wires?
That
there are no other suspension components that could be getting
stuck? Eric

If you look carefully, you will see that not only does the lens move
up/down, but also from side to side. You can get tiny fractures in
the parts securing the wires. So it is possible that one side twists
slightly and rubs.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.