Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
nospam[_3_] nospam[_3_] is offline

Default Apple throttled your iPhone by cutting its speed almost in HALF!

In article , rickman
wrote:

That's why it became an issue, the phones
started slowing down for no clear reason.

nope. the reason is because the batteries are aging and no longer
capable of sourcing sufficient current for *high* demand, not baseline.

as i said above, the alternative is a sudden shutdown, which is *worse*.

I think we have found the point of disagreement. You seem to think the
slowdown of the CPU performance had no impact on the usability of the phone.
The articles I have read seem to indicate that was how the problem was
discovered by users, the performance of the phone dropped off. No?

no, and the only article you should read is from apple itself, not
random journalists, some of whom have an agenda. there's a lot of
misinformation out there.

the slowdown only occurs with peak demands, not baseline performance,
and only with a battery that has degraded over time (which they all do)
to where it can't supply enough current for those peak demands.

the reason it's done is to avoid sudden shutdowns when the battery
voltage drops too low when pushed too hard, which is *far* more
annoying and also risks data loss and possible hardware damage.

when apple made the change last year, customers noticed a significant
*reduction* in sudden shutdowns. that's a good thing.

if the battery is healthy or the phone isn't being pushed hard (e.g.,
email, web surfing, text messaging, etc.), it's *highly* unlikely that
anyone will notice a difference. most of those tasks are *not*
cpu-bound, with the device waiting on the user to tap something or
other.

keep in mind that all devices, including android, are susceptible to
battery limitations, something the various articles neglect to mention.

one of *many* posts on the topic:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...9-galaxy-s4-sh
uts-down-randomly.html
Okay, I've had my phone for a few months now, and over the past week,
it has been shutting itself down, even though there is plenty of
battery left.
It seems like when I'm "stressing" the phone alittle bit, I can
reproduce the problem. For instance, it usually happens when I browse
around and multitask - jumping from one app to another... Also, if i
just load the game GTA III, which is somewhat heavy to run, it shuts
off within 10 minutes, usually less.
Also, I'm unable to reproduce the problem if I plug the phone to a
power charger.

batteries have limitations. the way to avoid shutdowns is to limit peak
demands so that the voltage doesn't drop to where the phone shuts off.
there's no getting around the laws of physics and battery chemistry.

and there have been lawsuits too:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05...filed-ongoing-
nexus-6p-early-shutdown-bootloop-lawsuit/
The Nexus 6P lawsuit we previously reported on twice in April has
been recently amended, and the venue of the suit seems to have
changed to northern California. The latest filings have expanded the
total number of actions in the suit from 10 to 23, with claimants
hailing from 11 different states.
...some Nexus 6P's have been experiencing bootloops, a situation in
which the phone doesn't correctly start, but sits unresponsively on
the startup animation. The other*battery-related defect manifests
itself as the phone suddenly shutting down long before the battery
indicator would predict.