Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
harry newton[_2_] harry newton[_2_] is offline

Default Apple throttled your iPhone by cutting its speed almost in HALF!

He who is JF Mezei said on Wed, 3 Jan 2018 12:54:04 -0500:

It's been proven already that Apple wasn't aware of the low-temperature
issues so it's just yet another piece of the puzzle that clearly indicates
Apple doesn't test their devices thoroughly enough.

I know Apple became aware of battery problem for 6s by March/April 2016,
so barely 6 months after product launch. Staff were instructed to tell
customers that it was normal for thw 6a to shutdown in cold.

Except that it's not normal for a phone to shutdown in the cold.

I applaud you for being able to see facts.

You're not an Apple Apologist because your observations and opinions are
sane. Certainly no Apple Apologist could say what you just said.

IMHO, Apple spent more energy on how to hide the battery issues after they
were found, than on testing for them prior to launch.

By October, Apple Support was instructed to get customers to run the
remote diagnostics suite (with results sent back to Apple). And by end
of November, the battery recall was launched. (2016).

The Apple battery recall was the right thing to do, just as any other
manufacturer would recall a defective device.

That recall was premised on a bad batch of batteries, so the customers
were given expectation that new battery would permanently fix problem.
It didn't.

Again, you have the ability to see facts which appear to be invisible to
the Apple Apologists.

Apple was "incredibly specific" about the first recall issue but incredibly
vague about the 10.2.1 "fix". There's a reason for that since nothing
happens at Apple by accident.

Apple made a conscious decision to hide the facts, which will be proven in
court if the cases aren't settled out of court sooner.

Note that the "bad batch" did age much faster and exhibited the problem
within 5-6 months of product launch.

This is an interesting fact, where even Apple said there were multiple
problems that the customers found for them since Apple doesn't test their
devices long enough in the real world to find them on their own.

What Samsung implemented for batteries is sort of what Apple needs to
implement for their phones - which is a rigorous testing system that
simulates what would happen in a year.

I am pretty sure that engineering within Apple would have been aware
that the battery was undersized for the type of power loads of the 6s
once you factopr in reduced battery amperage capacity as it ages.

This is a good point, in that there isn't any engineering mystery here like
there was, initially, in the Samsung exploding battery recall ... so, it's
odd then that if Apple engineers knew what they were doing, then why did
Apple feel the need to *secretly* halve the performance of the CPU.

Do you think the engineers planned this all along?

And it
is likely that marketing overruled this for the sake of keeping the 6s
as thin as the 6, making it sturdier (back pocket bending gate) and
adding a bigger taptic engine.

Ummm....mmm... this makes sense. Nothing happens at Apple without MARKETING
knowing about it - as it's one of the most successfully marketed companies
on the planet.

It could very well be that, just like in the Volkswagen situation,
MARKETING decided the final specs, and engineering couldn't do it - so they
had to shoehorn in the secret halving of the CPU just to meet the spec.

I know that the handful of (155.7 x 80 x 7.4 mm) $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus
phones I bought for Christmas as gifts has a 3200 mAh battery, as does the
(159.7 x 78.1 x 7.6 mm) LG V20, while the (158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm) iPhone 7
Plus has only a 2900 mAh battery (about 10% less capacity).

Maybe that tenth of a millimeter in thickness is what cost Apple customers
that 10% loss, out of the box, of their battery capacity?

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/LG-Stylo-3,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus,LG%20V20/phones/10337,9816,10202

Remember, Apple said they were totally blindsided by the iPhone 6 problems,
which simply means they didn't test it because they were common.

They were not blindsighted. The bad batch simply made a problem they
would have been aware of surface well before they had predicted.

I agree that it's a technical problem to test for "battery aging", and I
note that Apple went to extreme lengths to try to imply that all batteries
aged as fast as the iPhone batteries aged.... but it's a fact that this
problem that they felt the need to secretly throttle cpu speeds to less
than half within a year of use happens only on Apple devices, and only on
some of them.

So, no matter when Apple figured it out, the fact remains that they decided
to "solve" their problem by secretly halving CPU speeds, which is what
they're being sued for (rightfully so).

What I expect them to do is:
1. Not come clean until they can settle the lawsuits out of court
2. Then the lawsuits will dictate a proper remedy to the customer

Hint: Charging the customer to replace a defective battery is a lousy
remedy by all accounts.

With the then expected replacement cycle of 2 years, they likely figured
that the average onwer might expect a couple of cold shutdowns during
the winter of year 1, and as phone would be replaced in fall of year 2,
wouldn't get the bad shutdowns on year 2.

I have to disagree with your replacement lifecycle of 2 years, as I get far
more than that out of my phones. So do plenty of other people.

It's only Apple customers who have been trained to think a battery lasts
only two years. Did you see the Samsung statement I published for example?
It's a completely different expectation of battery life cycles.

In practice, the Android phones that have non-removable batteries (Nexus 5
was given away and is still working fine and the Google Moto G is also
working just fine) I gave as gifts years ago are still going strong.

My observation is that it seems only Apple customers feel that a battery
needs to be replaced after only two years of use. It's like saying a car
needs to be replaced after only two years of use. The perception works to
the manufacturer's advantage only.

Suspect they underestimated how soon the problem would surface.

Like Volkswagon, they hit upon the "elegant" solution, but it was so
elegant, and cheap, that they had to do it secretly.

BTW, one possible solution is similar to electric cars:
Put a heater in/under the battery.

I think Apple knows all the solutions where they took the "elegant"
(secret) way out.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I hope they just design the phones for
the batteries and vice versa. It's ridiculous that only Apple phones are
2-year replacement items. It's like having cars being replaced every two
years. It's wasteful.