Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default It's 2018 on Planet Mars

On 2/01/2018 1:05 AM, wrote:
I am wondering how this works. In these politically correct times, instead of AD (Anno Domini - Year of Our Lord), we have CE (common era). Ignoring what becomes "Year 1" and why, the Martian Year is 687 (earth) days.

So, 2018/4 = number of leap-years. (504.5). Round to 505 for a number of reasons.

Now, ((2018 x 365) + 505)/687 = number of Martian years. Or: 1072, about mid-October. Nothing quite yet the "New Year". Note that this is using earth-standard days. Martian standard days are 1:40, or 1480 minutes.

Starting Over: ((2018 x 365 x 24 x 60) + (505 x 24 x 60))/1480 gives us the number of Martian days involved. Comes to a little later in October of 1043. Months are named arbitrarily by dividing the Martian year into 12 segments assigning the same Earth-month name to that part of the cycle.

In any case, the actual Martian New Year is a movable feast, and in 2017, was celebrated on May 5,in Mars, Pennsylvania (where else?). The next one will be +/- March 3 of 2019.

Now, I will leave it to others to calculate the same for the Chinese, Korean, Islamic, Jewish, Orthodox, Indian, Aztec, et. al. as they see fit. All God's Creatures have a place in the Choir - even Martians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHayfrUIJDM About 4 minutes in.

Happy New Year!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

**Should we not be counting time from the initial event (aka: The Big
Bang)? Or, perhaps, as fundamentalist Christians would have it, some
6,000 years ago?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au