Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default sound from one laptop speaker only, can't solve this

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 7:45:46 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
Tim R wrote:

That makes sense. I have 3 cables that don't work, but an iPhone earbud does. The cable in use upstairs also worked, so maybe there's just enough variation from plug to plug.

** Iphone earbuds use FOUR way mini-plugs.

Yes, I'm aware of that. The 4th contact handles a volume control for the iPhone. Apparently the three standard contacts are close enough to a 3 way to work in most miniplug jacks. I could be wrong.

You vision impaired?

Yes, of course, I'm 65 with bifocals and cataracts. I insert the plug mostly by feel, and I need a headlamp working on dark surfaces.

.... Phil

FWIW, I did some research on how to install Win 7 again, and it appears to be near impossible without the product key. That's long since lost, which is too bad.

Basically at this point I don't know for sure if it's a jack problem or a software problem. I tried plugging in my Fasttrack, a USB to audio converter, and it recognized it as fasttrack, but never gave me the option to output sound.