Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default LM7815A and LM7915A metal tab or no metal tab?

Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

---------------------

** The *mounting tab* is definitely metal, just coated in epoxy to
insulate it.

Huh, we buy either spendy teflon shoulder washers, or cheaper nylon.
(with 4-40 screw.)

** JRC make "full pack" versions of the popular 7815/7915, TO220 regs.

Types are JRC7815A and JRC7915A.

https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i3/T...0-item_pic.jpg

The pak is called a T220F

Lots of ICs are made like this, with a penalty in the thermal
resistance spec.

..... Phil

I meant to post the following to the group yesterday

First, thanks for posting that pic.

I finally found out what was causing the roadblock in my search for the
LM7815/7915 in the epoxy case. STMIcroelectronics makes this part and it is
available at both Mouser and Digi-Key. The difference lies in the part
number for the epoxy case. The letter "M" is dropped from the part number.
They are L7815CP and L7915CP. Of course those numbers don't turn up when you
look for the original part number.

That being said, I think you were implying it's still better to use the
metal tabbed package and use insulating hardware which will improve the
thermal transfer. Is that correct?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber