Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bad laser in the Bose?

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 22:44:20 +0100, Robert Roland
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:22:05 -0800, wrote:

It will
search and search, you can hear the mechanism, and then, depending on
the CD, will play or not.

I have done a repair on a CD player with very similar symptoms. In my
case, however, it did not follow a particular CD. If one CD played,
the other one did too, and when one failed to play, the other one did
too.

Once it plays one CD it will usually play
others until it has been off for several hours.

First you say that it is depending on the CD and then you are saying
it does not?

In my case, it was a sticky sled motor. When I put the scope across it
at super slow sweep, I could see the voltage across the motor, while
playing normally, following roughly a sawtooth pattern. When it
stopped playing, the voltage would increase and increase until
saturation.

It will not start with certain CDs but then once playing would
sometimes play the CD it wouldn't to begin with. Now though it seems
like it will not play certain CDs no matter how long it has been on.
I'm gonna try oiling the laser sled. I have some of the proper oil.
Thanks,
Eric