Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bitrex Bitrex is offline

Default The Kikusui COS5060A is down :-(

On 12/13/2017 09:38 AM, wrote:
On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 8:14:27 PM UTC-5, bitrex wrote:
Failed in the middle of a measurement last night - no display, no power
LED, a few red LEDs on the front panel come on intermittently at
power-up. The familiar burnt smell coming from the back, but no smoke.
The enclosure felt a a bit hotter than usual immediately afterwards.

The incandescents on the graticule working fine though, and they're fed
off the negative PSU rail, but the positive low-voltage supply is
definitely down for the count. I haven't had a chance to open it up yet
but hoping it's an easy fix...

do you you need a schematic?

I have a schmo for the cos5040 which is similar.

I have a COS5060 and have been using it for 20 years.

I had 3 issues with it so far...
intermit connectors in the vertical amps
bad solder joints
and the HV seems to fade if i leave it on for over an hour and it gets too hot.

and a few bad solder joint

Yeah, I was able to find the COS5040 online. Is the power supply
identical, or at least similar?