Posted to alt.electronics,alt.sci.physics
Daniel60 Daniel60 is offline

Default UK National grid and frequency drop

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 12:29:19 -0000, Daniel60
wrote:
rickman wrote:

Snip

The point is that neither of these two cases are realistic because the
frequency is never perfectly stable.* That's the point, the whole grid
is a living, breathing entity and every part responds to the rest in a
way that tends to lock it together.* Talking about two generators being
some small amount different in frequency for any length of time won't
last, they will be pushed together.

Thanks for the memories!!

As I was sitting here, catching up on these posts, I recalled, back
about 40 years ago (in another life ;-) ), I worked at an Australian
Army H.F. Transmitter site where, each Tuesday, we would test out our
on-site, (3) 300KVA Blackstone generators by bring up one of them,
syncing it to the mains supply, disconnecting the mains and then, a
couple of hours later, bring up another gennie, sync it to the first
one, then drop the first one off-line, and then a couple of hours later,
sync this gennie back to the mains.

All good fun!!

Did you ever cause any explosions or fires?

No!! I suppose I could say I was an expert at sync'ing generators .....
or at least that I was well trained ..... or that I was bloody lucky!! ;-)

A story was told about someone having sync'ed a generator in 180 degrees
out of phase ... and how the one ton flywheel attached to the generator
crankshaft was found three mile down the road!!

Weirdest power experience I've ever experienced was when "we" lost the
neutral connection. This allowed the "Delta" connected three phase to
float about all over the place, causing the three 240 V R.M.S. phases to
vary as well.

Transmitters, fluoro lights, etc, were switching on and off as if by magic!!

Daniel