Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default B&D 18 volt batteries

On 12/7/2017 4:20 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, 7 December 2017 11:32:51 UTC, mike wrote:

I've always thought 12v & 14.4v ones could be run off a car battery

or a small SLA sat on the floor. But really no-one is that short of
dough these days.

Glad to hear you're doing well...
The conundrum is that the only way to have money is to not spend it.
Most people don't have the discipline to plan ahead.
NT
Most of the stuff these days is 18V.

There's the issue of the physical interface.
How many adapters do you need?
How would you hook up that 12V battery...conveniently?
How would you get all that up into the attic to drill a hole?
Might as well take a corded drill.
I'll typically use one drill as a drill and another as a screwdriver.
So, I need two batteries that work.
Before I went all-in on Ryobi, that meant
two batteries and two chargers and advance notice to charge the
inevitably dead batteries.

It didn't cost much more to switch to Ryobi than it would have
taken to buy a couple of batteries for my junk pile. I'm glad I did.
Now, I just grab whatever tool I need and can be sure that I have
a compatible battery that is fully charged and ready to go.

Unfortunately, the pack-rat in me can't bear to let go of all the
old, useless cordless tools. ;-(