Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Continuity between neutral and earth

On 07/12/2017 08:24, wrote:
Hi

Yes I think it is TN CS. This picture looks very much like my installation

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:PME1.jpg

So sounds like neutral and earth continuity is correct for my installation.

N&E continuity (of some sort) is correct for the vast majority of
installations (assuming you are doing the test with the circuit
connected to the CU[1]). With TN-C-S the link is in your property. With
TN-S its back at a substation. With TT its via the general mass of the
earth, and may have a higher resistance, but is still good enough to
make a continuity test "pass" in many cases.

[1] If you want to test your "new" combined circuit in isolation, then
you need to disconnect it at the CU end and test there. That way you
will be free of the influences of the supply itself and any EQ bonding
connections.

--
Cheers,

John.