Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb[_5_] Dr. Deb[_5_] is offline

Default JET jwl-1236 issue

On Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 12:51:32 PM UTC-5, Justin-Austin, TX wrote:
Hi. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to remove a part. I recently bought the lathe at an estate sale. The guy who had it was making guitars and it came with a buffer attached to the spindle. On the opposite side of the motor there is a hole that i'm told you use to tap out different accessories but in the hole is a threaded rod that rotates with the spindle.. I've tried tapping it but don't want to bend the rod or ruin the teeth on the threaded rod.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can email you pictures if necessary.

If the lathe did not come with a knockout bar, any piece of 1/4" steel rod, 12"+ will do.

Lock the spindle with the spindle lock, located on the bed side of the headstock, just to the lower left of the spindle. Then, using the vice grips, unscrew the rod. Assuming its a threaded rod, you can actually grip it, etc.

But before you do, look down the inside of the morse taper on the front side of the of the head stock and see if the former owner wedged a nut or some other device in the morse taper.