Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
G Ross[_2_] G Ross[_2_] is offline

Default JET jwl-1236 issue

Justin-Austin, TX wrote:
Hi. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to remove a part. I recently bought the lathe at an estate sale. The guy who had it was making guitars and it came with a buffer attached to the spindle. On the opposite side of the motor there is a hole that i'm told you use to tap out different accessories but in the hole is a threaded rod that rotates with the spindle. I've tried tapping it but don't want to bend the rod or ruin the teeth on the threaded rod.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can email you pictures if necessary.

Is the buffer attached with a Jacobs chuck inserted into the spindle?
Anyway it is probably attached by some type of tapered insert and the
rod is used with a washer and nut to hold the taper in so it won't
work out.

Take a pair of vise-grips and hold the rod and unscrew it. It is
probably a piece of all-thread rod which is screwed into the taper.
Unscrew the rod and use the knock out bar to loosen the taper. I
suppose it did come with a knockout rod.

A picture of both ends of the spindle would help.

--
G Ross

Mary had a little lamb,
a little beef and a little ham.