Matty

Default Any risk in buying a house with finished basement without permit -Please advise

"Basha" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am in house hunting for the last one month and found a suitable
house recently. I am thinking of buying it. When I went to to get the
survey map from the city governmemnt, I learned that they don't have a
record of basement finished. The previous owner who actually completed
the basement didn't get the permit for it. The basement has 2
bedrooms, one bathroom and a large family room with fire place. Is
there any risk involved in buying this house?

You comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Basha

I'd check with the city. If the owner didn't get a permit - the finished
basement may not be up to city codes, i.e. city may require egress windows
for finished basements, etc.

Better to be safe than sorry...

My 2c,

Matty