Brad

Default Any risk in buying a house with finished basement without permit -Please advise

In article ,
said...
Hi,

I am in house hunting for the last one month and found a suitable
house recently. I am thinking of buying it. When I went to to get the
survey map from the city governmemnt, I learned that they don't have a
record of basement finished. The previous owner who actually completed
the basement didn't get the permit for it. The basement has 2
bedrooms, one bathroom and a large family room with fire place. Is
there any risk involved in buying this house?

You comments greatly appreciated.

The main risk is that if they built right up to the foundation you will
not be able to inspect it's soundness. That really has nothing to do with
having or not having a permit, but that would be my concern. Any decent
home inspector can tell you whether the job itself is sound or not.