Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default car antenna with serpent

On 10/11/2017 02:38 AM, micky wrote:
The antenna that came on my 2005 Toyota is about 16" long and the top
ten inches have a wire coiled around in it, like the snake on a
caduceus. Does this wire do anything or is it just to impress people?

You can use Ls and Cs to make "loaded" vertical antennas, i.e. ones that
are resonant but much shorter than 1/4 wavelength, but in those the L
goes on the bottom and the C on the top. Putting extra L on top doesn't
make immediate sense electrically, so I expect it's for acoustics or
pedestrian protection or something less obvious like that.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Histo...Sevick_opt.pdf

Cheers

Phil Hobbs