Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default battery tools are crap

On 13/09/17 14:31, Bill Wright wrote:

Why people buy battery tools to use at home I really don't know.
Ignorance of the customer plus the vendor's sales hype I guess. Thinking
about it, I bet a lot of people who buy a battery drill have never used
an electric drill before, so they won't realise how limited their new
toy is.

Bill

I can counter everything you've just said

10.8V Blue Bosch driver, drill and impact driver are small, light and
surprisingly powerful for their size and I've used mine for years.

36V Bosch garden tools are equal in calibre to mains tools of a similar
size - hedge cutter, lawn mower and strimmer.

Now these do really require you have 2 batteries of the same size (there
are 2-3 different sizes IIRC, big for mower and small or medium for hand
held tools. With 2 batteries, the charging process *nearly* keeps up and
I can do my whole garden on 2 charges, sometimes 3 if the grass is long.

As you can put a small battery in a big tool and vice versa, I do
sometimes finish the hedge with a mower battery.

The convenience, lightness compared to petrol and lack of a damn cable
makes it totally worth while.

Now a contractor doing a large tough hedge would be better off with a
heavy petrol strimmer. But for my hawthorn and most fluffy hedges the
36V works extremely well.