Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bnwelch@gmail.com is offline

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

They can stored in Guam, in such a way to either counterbalance the military masses, or just to balance their own weight so as to prevent the island from capsizing

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 1:17:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 09:30:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/13/2017 6:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 10:24:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 09:17:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 12-Sep-17 6:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Don't focus so tightly on the container as it is. Look at it as it could
be: Windows, doors, plumbing, electricity can ALL be installed. ...

And by the time you do that w/ a box not intended for the purpose might
as well just have a purpose-built prefab -- oh, FEMA already did that.

I think the idea is that these intermodal containers could be shipped
where they're needed using existing infrastructure and *stored* until
needed. The FEMA trailers made during Katrina weren't much good the
first time around.

Where would you store them? Considering we now know where they are needed, where
would you have stored them prior to Harvey and Irma.

Would enough containers have been delivered to Barbuda prior to Irma? The Keys? The
coastal areas around Houston - e.g. the small towns and villages, etc.?

Do you load up California in anticipation of the Big One? If so, where? Everywhere?

How do you determine where the next disaster will strike? How do keep them ready for use
when they may sit fior decades?

It can have benefits. They can be stored in much less space than a FEMA
trailer since containers stack well. You can transport 12,000 of them
on a single ship. Of course, then you need the supporting
infrastructure to handle the ship, the loading/unloading and the
tractors to move them to final location. Trains can move them too, but
you still need the right equipment on the rails.

It is not a single solution to all housing needs but I can see it as a
benefit is some areas. Just one piece of a well planed pie.

Exactly. Something that can be done _before_ it's needed.