Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_3_] Bill Wright[_3_] is offline

Default battery tools are crap

On 13/09/2017 16:39, John Rumm wrote:

I have never really found that a problem with decent batteries, and
having enough of them.

I used to have problems on flats complexes fixing aerials onto masonry
(8 holes per aerial) when I was working my way along a row of small
blocks. Used to recharge from the van. Sort of OK.

Then there's the fact that battery tools are always underpowered. You

That does not need to be true. Many have more than adequate power, but
you need be a bit selective as to what you are doing and where you are
doing it.

Yes but you can't be selective about the work you have to do. And even
fairly light jobs (say drilling 10mm holes in wood) is quicker with a
mains drill.

I agree that battery is OK for really light jobs (polishing a little
dog's nails in a poodle parlour, that sort of thing).

pay more than twice the price for less than half the power. Even the
bigger battery tools tend to be rated at 300 to 450W, whereas the mains
equivalents are usually 1kW+.

Many tools don't require more than a few hundred W - even in mains form.

Well, it's always good to have power in reserve, and anyway I'm really
talking more about bigger tools.I mean, frinstance I have a little
dremel and it slows down if you work it hard. It would be better if it
didn't.

Bill