Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Hurricane Windows

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 1:46:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/12/2017 1:08 PM, Dave C wrote:
We recently bought a FL house, in the path of Irma. Alas we are not
near by, to actually inspect our house.

My question. The prior owner had installed Hurricane rated windows and
sliiding doors. Clearly they are effective to flying debris. What I do
not know, ma asking for advice : are hurricane rated "windows/ doors"
also effective in limiting any water penetration. Our house is
located in the Tampa area, directly on the Gulf shore - where high
water surges have been reported. We were not "home" to put down sand
bags and plastic barriers

If by water penetration you mean heavy rain, you should be good.
Flooding, crap shoot.

Flooding I'd say forget about it. The windows nay not let more than
a small trickle in, but the water hands almost infinite other paths.
I watched some dummy in FL on the news before the storm, cutting up
what looked like door panels or similar, to form a barrier inside
his garage? WTF? Total waste of time.

The surge was not as bad as originally thought so you may be ok for
flooding. My daughter in Bradenton is in a B zone and had no flooding
but no idea when power will be back. I hope you did as well as she did.
My son in Parrish never lost power.

Yes, the storm surge, from what I saw, the worst might have been
in Miami area and very southern west coast.