Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How do they paint the stripes on resistors, bumble bee caps, etc?

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 14:53:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I would posit a rotating intaglio printer as a relatively
simple device with very prices application ability and
little slop. And although the print heads would wear,
they would have very nearly infinite life as compared
to a brush or roller. This is the purest speculation,
of course.

May I humbly suggest you reconsider your speculation. Intaglio is
slow. It works well for flat objects but not so well with irregular
diameters, such as metal film resistors:
https://www.google.com/search?q=film+resistor&tbm=isch
Notice the irregular diameter and inconsistent bulges at the ends
cause by dipping and turning the resistor (before marking) in some
kind of insulating coating before firing. Dealing with these
inconsistencies and irregularities probably eliminates any form of ink
tranfer that involved physical contract with the resistor body such as
roller, brushes, stamping, etc. My guess(tm) is some kind of ink jet
or spray marker applied while spinning the resistor around its center
line. I haven't found any machinery yet that claims to do this.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D