Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components

Default How do they paint the stripes on resistors, bumble bee caps, etc?

On Fri, 08 Sep 2017 22:11:09 -0400, wrote:

I've always wondered how they paint on the colored stripes. I put "how
do they paint the stripes on resistors" on google, but all I got was
links explaining how to READ color codes.

I suspect you could guess how it's done without any assistance.

My guess(tm) is that the resistors are hand painted in Japan as a
spare time project for highly skilled porcelain painters. Whey they
get bored, we get resistors like this:
https://img0.etsystatic.com/174/0/8168616/il_340x270.1181159266_6pfz.jpg
https://www.etsy.com/market/resistor_jewelry
https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=resistor jewelry

Has anyone ever heard anything about this process?

Nope. I couldn't find anything under "axial resistor marking
machine", "axial resistor color code marking device", or something
similar. Nothing under patents. Oddly, the color code itself doesn't
seem to be patented. The marking method is probably part of a highly
automated manufacturing process and either a well protected trade
circuit, or so trivial that nobody has bothered to make a dedicated
resistor marking machine. I'll add it to my list of unexplained
electronic phenomenon.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D