Sundog

Default Porcelain vs. ceramic tile installation

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
om...
"Pelorus" wrote in message

.com...
I have a choice between a porcelain or ceramic tile for a kitchen. Are
there any issues-- degree of difficulty-- installing porcelain vs.

ceramic
tile?

Not if you have a decent saw. I put porcelain for the kitchen counter
and with a $200 wet saw, it cuts fine, albeit slower, than a ceramic
tile.

Hard as a rock too. I've drop some pretty heavy objects on it, not a
scratch.

I agree with Master and Larry - porcelain is much better and much harder to
cut -
especially thicknesses over 1/4". I found the cutters with the tungsten
wheel work
fairly well for 1/4" thick tiles but are almost useless for 3/8" and over. I
bought a Grizzly
wet tile saw, which worked quite well, for about $350. The first diamond saw
blade,
which cost about $20, cut only about 22' of 3/8" tile.

You need to check what you are offered for edging - it may well be ceramic.

Good luck!

Have fun!

Sd