Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default The Houston Gang

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:48:08 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
Just touching in, we have been busy watching the news and hunkering
down. This has been an event. While this is nothing to take lightly
there are some of us that are doing just fine.

I have personally emptied our rain gauge of 31.25" since Saturday
morning. This link shows my house and Tundra from a neighbors house
just about an hour ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

So far we have no friends or relatives that have gotten any water in
their homes. There is a lot of luck involved in that but before
building our home I studied the flood plane maps before choosing a lot
and even then I chose a lot on the high point of the street.

I'm glad to hear that you and yours are OK.

My house is about 120' above a bay connected to one of the Great Lakes.
From the end of my street I can look almost straight down on the roofs of
the houses on the water. A bunch of years ago I got a letter from the company that held our mortgage informing us that our property is in a FEMA designated
flood zone and that if I didn't show proof of flood insurance, they were
going to buy the insurance for me.

I tried to imagine what it would be like if my property ever got flooded.
You say that you heard air boats a mile away? Less than a mile from me the
houses would be 100' under water! We're talking a flood of biblical
proportions.

I called them the next day and found out that they had made a minor
administrative error. They had sent the letter to every customer that had a
mortgage with them. They told me to ignore it, but it took them 3 months to
send a follow-up letter admitting their mistake. That makes me wonder how
many of their customers believed them and actually went out and got flood
insurance. I wonder if they reimbursed them.