Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] newsroamer@gmail.com is offline

Default How do welding shade numbers add up? Eclipse viewing.

On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 3:47:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 1:53:14 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
I want to look at the eclipse this weekend.
Everybody says a #14 welding shade is good.
I don't have one.

So, how do the numbers stack up when you use 2?
I'm guessing it's not linear, so 7+7 doesn't = 14???

What's the math for stacking welding shades?

Thanks, mike

you can not stack the lens, can still have severe damage, this is coming directly from NASA.

Dear Smm...., what exactly do you mean by "you can not stack the lens"? We're talking about stacking the solar filters, that is, the darkening filters.. And, which bit of info exactly "is coming directly from NASA"? Are you employed by NASA? Or are you referring to a document from NASA--if so, would you link to it?

- Neu