Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default GFCI Protection Question ?

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 6:52:29 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 6:20:03 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 5:59:39 PM UTC-4, Retired wrote:
On 8/12/17 5:44 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Concerning the normal GFCI protectors/modules:

Obviously they protect "downstream" like they are designed to.

But does this protection also extend "upstream" ?
If so, to where ?

Thanks,

Bob

No, only downstream.

Ideally the GFCI would be the first outlet in line coming off that
circuit's breaker.

There are GFCI breakers if you need to protect any upstream wiring.

Based on the question asked, let's be 100% clear here.

The GFCI breaker still only protects wiring and devices that are downstream
from *it*.

By "protect any upstream wiring" you are of course, referring to any wiring
that is upstream from the first device after the breaker, not upstream from
the GFCI breaker itself. (Many of us understood what you meant, I just want
to make sure that the Bob understands that too.)

I think the above is less clear than what preceeded it. You're mixing
two different scenarios now. A GFCI breaker will protect everything

on that circuit. A GFCI receptacle or similar device, will only
protect itself and whatever is downstream. No GFCI device of any kind
will protect anything upstream of it.