Posted to rec.woodworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Repair/reinforcement of double pedestal desk

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Keep in mind also that if the joint is cleaned out beyond snug, you make
the tenon a touch smaller or the mortise a touch larger, you will want
to shim to fill the cavity. Few glues have a gap filling feature that
is strong.

The fit seems quite good; No material seems to have been lost, it was
a clean fracture through the glue, apparently. I'd be hard pressed to
improve it.

A local art supply shop offered to order a half pound of rabbit glue,
which is hard to resist, both for price and the fact that I'm fixing
a rabbet joint 8-) It turns out there's no separate tenon in the cross
members, they are milled to match the edge of the center panel.

The stuff is sold as sizing for painter's canvas, but from what I've
read most people seem to consider it a reasonably good glue, somewhat
less brittle than cabinetmaking hide glue. I'll make a few test joints
before using it for keeps.

If anybody thinks this is a gross folly please warn me.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska