Posted to rec.woodworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Repair/reinforcement of double pedestal desk

Sonny wrote:

There's the maxim "Primum nil nocere", do no harm. I vote to,
at least, give this some consideration with your modifications, if possible.

What are your thoughts on using hide glue?
Epoxy seems counter to the principle....

I agree the piece is nice enough to be spared wanton hackery. It's also
small enough to be used in a home.

There little doubt that drilling holes in the top is a bad idea, a false
top a much better one. Whether I should brace the bottom is less clear, but
if I do and use hide glue to fasten the brace it can be removed.

If I don't brace the bottom, overload the desk and other joints start
to pop then I have a somewhat larger mess on my hands.

With my thanks!

bob prohaska