Posted to rec.woodworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Repair/reinforcement of double pedestal desk

Sonny wrote:

Yep, pics would definitely help.

Ok, I've put a few pictures at

http://www.zefox.net/~bob/lincolndesk/

There are metal clips, each with a single screw, under the edge of
the top at the juncture with the legs, plus two in the middle of the
ends. Evidently I should start by removing the screws to see if the
top will then lift off.

The damaged M&T joint is at the occupant's far right. I'd imagine it
was whacked on something while being moved. No other damage is apparent.

The lathe is an old South Bend 10K, about 300 lbs, with 48" bed. It
will span the pedestals nicely. The reinforcement plan is to mount
a false top, possibly a laminate countertop section, with the lathe
bolted to that. I'm also contemplating bolting/screwing a sheet of
plywood to the bottom of the desk, covering the foot-hole, to make
a box structure. I believe that will offer considerable reinforcement.

Thanks to all for reading, looking and guiding!

bob prohaska