View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Repair/reinforcement of double pedestal desk

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 7:30:07 PM UTC-5, bob prohaska wrote:
I would like to repair and reinforce a 1930's Lincoln double pedestal
office desk to use as a base for a metalworking lathe.

A friend asked me to repair her oak roll top desk.... it's still in my shop.. One castor collapsed, so the support board had broken, detached. The whole desk is in horrible shape, not only after obviously having been racked, because of the broken castor unit, but the rest of the desk is filthy-dirty and the roll top (canvas attachment is dry-rotted, crumbling) is falling apart, completely. Initially, I was to repair the castor issue, only, but once I told her of other issues, she wanted me to do, what amounted to, a complete restoration. I told her "No way. Get a dedicated restorer to do it."

Considering how double pedestal desks are constructed, if your desk has a M&T joint issue, there may very likely be other issues with the desk. How might your desk have become damaged, that way (only one M&T joint?), as it has? I can't imagine it has only that one damage issue. There may very well likely be other issues with your desk. You better inspect it carefully, if you will use it for a metal lathe support.... or any lathe support.

Sonny