Edwin Pawlowski

Default Cost of jacking up a house.

"LCD3" wrote in message
Okay, I'm just daydreaming here, but I was wondering if anyone has a rough
idea of what it costs to jack up a house that is approximately 25 feet by

40
feet.

Here's the daydreaming part -- I was wondering about the possibility of
jacking up a house to add enough more rows of cinder block to the

foundation
as a way of changing a 4-foot high crawl space to an actual basement. The
crawl space already has a concrete floor. The idea would be to change

what
is now a ranch style home into raised ranch style home, and create a whole
new basement level usable area.

Can be done. I have no idea of the cost effectiveness, but I saw a This Old
House and they were doing just that in Florida. From what I saw on the show,
it is fairly common to raise the houses in flood areas. I've seen this done
often along the New Jersey shore also.

The house was supported with beams, raised, then a foundation of sorts was
built. They gave a cost but I don't recall. It was not astonishingly high
though.
Ed