Posted to rec.woodworking
G Ross G Ross is offline

Default Sharpening Stones

wrote:
On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 11:05:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Do you consider a Machette to be a form of sword? I was kinda thinking
about how similar it looks. I've got a better edge on the machette than
I used to, but haven't quite found the right technique yet.

Machetes are brush/grass cutters that are made for field use. Typically a high carbon steel, they are made to be sharpened with the most crude tools available to the user. They are hardened to a Rockwell of less than 50 pts (not all, and RC testing is pointless as quality control on most machete production is poor, which is why they are cheap!) making them easy to sharpen with a #8 Mill ******* file.

To get a "convex" edge on my thicker camp machete, I use my 1x30 belt sander and grind just above the platen, making it almost like a slack belt grinder. Then touch up with a file as needed. You would be surprised at how easy this technique is, and widely used it is by outdoorsmen.

Do you create a rounded bevel? I saw that suggested for some chisels as
a way to keep more metal near the cutting edge while still allowing the
cutting edge to cut easily.

Here is a look at the different edge profiles that are readily achieved for edged tools:

https://www.finestknife.com/knife-edges-101-guide/

I think a convex edge would be very poor for a chisel as that is the way most chisels wind up, whether it was intended or not. Convex is still good for hogging out material, but you can't do a planing push cut, nor can you hold a line when mortising. Try it; make a mark in a piece of soft wood and drive your chisel in at the mark. You will see it functions as a splitter, opening both sides of your line instead of keeping one side at a 90.

At least that's my experience.

Robert

A convex or double angle edge works pretty good for a cold chisel.
Would never use it on a wood chisel.

--
GW Ross