Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do I properly use an electrical demagnitizer?

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 08:52:04 -0400, Neon John wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:47:36 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I found that if I simply stand the tool vertically on the center mass,
and turn the power on for 5-10 seconds, then turn it off..it
magnitizes the tool well enough for my purposes.

Gunner, you don't need the time. During the time you hold the switch
down, the unit is demagnetizing the unit. What does the magnetizing
is opening the switch on a current peak. The high delta-I/delta-T
causes a step change in the magnetic field and that does the
magnetizing.

Really? Then why does it provide more of a magnetif field when I keep
it on more than 5 seconds, than if I do a Off/On/Off blip? I was
curious about that when I tried it.

This process generates more or less magnetism, depending on the luck
of when you open the switch on the 60 Hz half-cycle. At most, though,
you're dealing with only 120 volts.

Yes.

The MSD ignition box fires multiple 450 volt pulses into the "coil"
every time it is triggered - normally with opening points (a normally
closed switch in your case. Here's a cheap one on sleazebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361957443181

The demagnetizer probably has more induction than is optimum. Once
you have the MSD box, you can make a more optimum magnetizer by
bundling steel welding rods together to make about a 1 inch bundle
about 8" long. Wrap the bundle with electrical tape and then perhaps
50 turns of electrical wire. Preferably magnet wire but ordinary wire
will do. Gauge doesn't much matter, though I'd use 14 gauge or
larger.

Cool!

This will magnetize the tool to the extent that you have to actually
tug on the screw to get it off.

Ill try that!

An alternative approach that isn't as effective but is cheaper is to
use a fairly good size super-magnet and stroke the tool in the same
direction every time for maybe 10-20 strokes. This drags the magnetic
domains into alignment. It isn't as effective as the capacitor
discharge technique but the only cost is the super-magnet.

Ive used the little tool with the steps and hole in it before..and
they work well enough on small items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IIT-90262-Ma...-/152411079048

I maintain a set of strongly magnetized tools and another set of
demagnetized tools. One can't imagine the handiness of a combination
wrench being able to hold a nut in place in a practically inaccessible
place while the bolt is turned to start the threads.

Indeed! As a service tech...I find them to be invaluable. I loaned
my above small magnitizer/demagnizer to a guy at a shop..and left
before remembering to get it back. Ive never replaced it...Harbor
Freight doesnt sell them anymore.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com