Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Resistance measurements

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:17:54 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 02:50:34 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

My 1920s v/i meter weighs a small fraction of that. Avos were high
impedance accurate bench meters.

"High impedance" back then, yeah.

Not high enough. If you want to measure really high resistances, such
as insulation leakage, you need a Megger (which is actually the name
of the company that makes them but has become somewhat of a generic
term for high voltage resistance testers):
https://www.google.com/search?q=megger+meter&tbm=isch
If you want to see if you really have water in the coax cables, you
need one of these insulation testers.

I have an old and ugly meter, which has a hand crank generator. It
produces enough voltage to have given me a rather nasty shock. It's
fairly difficult to electrocute oneself while operating the crank, but
I managed. Some modern Megger models still have such hand cranks
generators:
http://www.tequipment.net/Megger212160.html
http://us.megger.com/extended-range-insulation-resistance-testers-210170-and-210600-
These small testers will deliver 1000V in order to measure up to 2000
Mohms. Now, does anyone still want to complain about 15v batteries?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D