Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Steering Problem on Craftsman Lawn Tractor

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:35:09 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
On Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 7:43:21 PM UTC-6, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
I just started using my tractor having bought it new at the end of the
summer 2005 mowing season.

Every year at this time I faithfully tune it up - change oil/oil
filter/spark plugs/air filter/fuel filter, clean the carb, take off the
deck/sharpen the blades, check the belts, ...

Having just completed all of the above, I'm finding the steering to be very
difficult. It feels like a car with power steering but the power is off -
much more force is required to turn the steering wheel. It is also
difficult to steer back to straight from a hard turn.

What could be the problem? Could it be a simple lubrication solution, or
something more significant like a bearing/bushing in a wheel/axle assembly?
I see no obvious visual indications.

The model is 917.275702, 24 hp, 48" deck.

POOR freaking design. I have one of these machines.

you need to look under the machine while someone turns the steering wheel and see which parts rub and which parts may already have grooves worn into them

I have resolved the groove issue in mine by pulling UP on the steering wheel and using a hose clamp around the steering wheel shaft housing to hold it in the elevated position. This moves the steering rod up to a new position so the groove is in a new position.

Look under there while turning the wheel and the problem should become clear.