Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default Sharpening Stones

Arkansas stones seem appealing, as do water stones. What do you have
experience with and would recommend?

I quit using Arkansas and switched to diamond, ceramic and hones. I
use diamond if they are in bad shape or need to be reprofiled. I use
ceramic to put a better edge/angle on it. I hone on leather, cork or
sandpaper for razor sharpness. I have been seen honing on cardboard
when nothing else was at hand. On rare occasion, I still use an
Arkansas only if it's the only option I have on hand. I find ceramic
stones stay cleaner, flatter and are simpler to use. No oil, water or
mess and clean up with an old toothbrush or eraser.

I intend to use the stones to handle general sharpening, but do my
chisels on the bench grinder.

I've never used a bench grinder for sharpening. I do not like how much
material it takes off, the heat that builds, or the noise and mess.

I've got a pocket knife and other assorted cutting tools. I understand
sickle blades are done with a curved stone, not the traditional flat
stone. (The slip stones did a good job. It didn't hurt when the stone
slippped and I sliced my finger.)

I've used mostly flat stones of various sizes for the size of the
tool. For extremely large blades, I move a small stone along the
length. Yes, I have sharpened and restored swords.

For the few curved tools I own, I have a couple curved slipstones and
a profiled leather hone board for the various shapes.

What about flattening the stone?

Never used one or have had a need to as my stones are still flat.

I really don't have any concerns about the primary sharpening, as most of
my primary sharpening and shaping takes place on the bench grinder (the
rest is THAT good.) Would a really fine stone be useful for something
like the metal lathe toolbits?

Most turners I know use a grinder or Tormek. I could not justify the
cost of a Tormek. I picked up various shaped stones for my turning
tools and carving tools. Takes be a but longer if the edge is torn up
but I usually touch up edges as I work so I've never had a need to
grind them. Only once I needed that when I picked up a used tool and
then the guys at the local wood store let me try the Tormek on it.

(I know I'm a little off topic here, but I've noticed a couple members
mention their metalworking addiction.) Puckdropper

I love sharp pointy things. Does that count for metalworking?

---
http://www.avg.com