Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default Steering Problem on Craftsman Lawn Tractor

On Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 7:43:21 PM UTC-6, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
I just started using my tractor having bought it new at the end of the
summer 2005 mowing season.

Every year at this time I faithfully tune it up - change oil/oil
filter/spark plugs/air filter/fuel filter, clean the carb, take off the
deck/sharpen the blades, check the belts, ...

Having just completed all of the above, I'm finding the steering to be very
difficult. It feels like a car with power steering but the power is off -
much more force is required to turn the steering wheel. It is also
difficult to steer back to straight from a hard turn.

What could be the problem? Could it be a simple lubrication solution, or
something more significant like a bearing/bushing in a wheel/axle assembly?
I see no obvious visual indications.

The model is 917.275702, 24 hp, 48" deck.

POOR freaking design. I have one of these machines.