Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Resistance measurements

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 10:41:02 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The analog meter has enough voltage/current to turn on the junctions of
diodes and transistors. The DMM will not have enough to turn them on.

If you have a diode out of the circut and use an analog meter you will
often see a small resistance in one direction and if you reverse the
leads a high resistance. The DMM will usually show a high resistance in
both directions unless you use the diode setting if the dmm has one.

Damnit, Ralph! You beat me to it. I was going to say that. ;-)
I have a couple of analogue meters too. They test for resistance at 15V
which is more than enough to turn on those semiconductors, but also more
than enough to destroy a lot of chips that can't tolerate much more than
5V. Horses for courses/different strokes and all that.