CBHvac

Default Gas logs pilot light problem.

"jim" wrote in message ...
TOM KAN PA wrote:

I've had these unvented gas logs for about five years. Same room, same
fireplace.
I re-lit the pilot light this fall. It burned fine. One night my wife

lit the
logs. The next day we noticed the pilot light was off. I accused her of

turning
the shut off too far and turning off the pilot light.
One evening I told her I will turn the logs off. I shut them off, the

pilot
light stayed on. For a few minutes.
So I re-lit it and it stayed on, no problem. Until the next time the

logs were
used. After they were turned off, the pilot light burned for a few

minutes, and
went off. I re-lit it, it's still burning, but I know that the next time

when
the logs are used, the pilot light will go off again.
What can be causing this? About the only thing that can be replaced is

the
thermo couple. And if this is defective, the pilot light should never

stay on.
No so.. the pilot light gets it gas from the other side of the valve
that the pilot controls.... it always get gas... if not then you would
never be able to get gas to the pilot light to heat up the thermocoupler
that makes the gas valve open to set the logs on fire...

Actually, not so.
I have not seen a set of logs like that in over 10 years....
Push and hold pilots are the norm. When the thermocouple heats enough to
generate millivolts, then the pilot stays lit.

... get another
thermocoupler and see if that fixes the problem...... if that does not
fix it then its the gas valve that the thermocoupler controls and it
might not be worth fixing??? i dont know what type of setup you have...
but remember that the gas always goes to the pilot..

NO, it does NOT.
I JUST repaired another set and its pick and hold...pick and
hold...sheeeeeesh.

... if the pilot
blows out and you get gas its not too much to cause a problem like the
gas coming out of the valve if the valve is bad(it lets too much gas
out)...

English???
Bad valve wont let too much gas out....bad regulators will..

It amazes me that advice this bad is even allowed out.